Sunday, August 7, 2016

A Poem for Flor



A flower, 
Clothed in purple
In the light of the morning,
More beautiful than
I imagined. 

Rare, 
Even where flowers grow freely.
I would be less surprised
To see you
In the damp coolness of
A forest canopy.

But, 
In the dry dust 
Of Alto Cayma,
I find you in full bloom.

Here,
You confound the small-minded
With your unnatural beauty.
They renounce you as a
Thing that should not be.
A monster,
Of the own making.

This morning
You wash me in purple, 
Bathe me in light.
Blessed are my eyes,
For they see
A flower,
More beautiful than
I imagined.



1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful tribute to a sweet little girl! If you wrote that yourself, then there must be more where that came from. I hope you're jotting them down. I watched the Olympic Opening Ceremonies and found myself cheering when the Peruvians marched by. If you meet our Ana Gozme Mayta de Angeles, who would be 17 now - we "adopted" her when she was 8 - please give her a hug. Lydia met her, but Ed and I have not yet visited.
    Thanks, Debra

    ReplyDelete